Monday 24 November 2014

Pens - To lend or not to lend

Something happened at work the other day. I left my pen in plain sight, something I very rarely do anymore. You'll understand why very shortly.

So I'm a checkout assistant, till op, cashier, whatever you want to call it. My job is simple, scan the shopping, take the money, be polite and courteous at all times. ALL TIMES.

A customer approaches the checkout with a trolley full to the top. As she starts loading onto the belt it becomes apparent that she is shopping for her whole neighbourhood and wishes to pay for three items at a time so she can get separate receipts. OK fine, I'm here all day anyway, so it makes no difference to me.

She unfolds the list from her pocket and starts rooting through her bag. Uh oh, she hasn't got a pen.
At the exact same moment, both of our eyes land on my pen, the one I left in plain sight. How could I be so stupid?

"Can I use your pen for a sec" she asks. I knew it was coming but hearing the words out loud still paralysed me for a moment. An excuse, I need an excuse. Should I say it doesn't work? Not believable, why would I have it just there if it didn't work. And she might ask to try it anyway.
Too late, I hesitated for too long so she grabs it anyway and begins crossing off items as she removes them from the trolley.

Right OK, it's done now. Note to self, do not leave pen lying around. I continue scanning. I tell myself to get a grip, the world won't end just because someone used my pen.

I press total. That will be £4.95 ple... WHAT ON EARTH?

My pen is hanging from her mouth. I don't mean just held between her lips, shes sucking on it like it's a lollipop. My stomach does a weird flip like I might be sick or something. I resist the urge to snatch the pen from her mouth and ask her what she thinks she's doing. I need to politely ask her to remove my pen from her mouth but I can't speak.
I notice her friend is staring at me with an odd expression on her face. That's when I realise I'm gawping at my pen in horror. My friendly smile and professional manner have failed me. What must I look like?

After what seems like a lifetime, she removes the pen from her mouth and that's when I see the string of saliva stretch out and the drop onto the conveyor belt. It was like a horror movie. I didn't want to look, I wanted to scream and run away but at the same time I couldn't tear my eyes away from this disgusting scene.

I leave the pen where it is for now. I need to psyche myself up before I can retrieve it. It's the same panicky feeling I get when I see a spider and theres no one else around to move it.

The rest of the transaction is a blur. I scan but I'm not there. I'm in my safe place, waiting for her to leave so I can grab my hand sanitizer and plan my next move. I don't know whether I should go and wash the pen, whether I should throw it in the bin or whether I should leave it where it is and for the first time in my life hope someone comes along and gives it a good home.

As I looked at the pen, covered in spit, I felt sad. I had no love for it anymore.

I'm not completely heartless. I couldn't just leave it there, abandoned and alone. I did eventually take the pen, wash it thoroughly with soap and put it in my locker. But that's where it's been ever since.
Will I ever use it again? I don't know.

I'm sure the customer who caused all this heartache has no idea what she's done, it wasn't done intentionally so I'm prepared to forgive although I'm not sure I'll ever forget.

Why am I telling you this? I'm telling you because I wan't to raise awareness and let people to know that it is NOT OK to put someone elses pen in your mouth. Next time you are tempted to pop a pen that doesnt belong to you into your mouth - stop and think. Do you really want to force this pen into early retirement? Do you want this pen to live the rest of its life in a dark locker or worse, in the bin?

If I can save just one pen from suffering the same fate as my poor promotional pen then it won't have all been for nothing.

15 comments:

  1. This is an awesome blog and I really like it...
    Wholesale Promotional Pens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people have questions about retail packaging. You can read this article Read It To Know All About Retail Packaging. You can ask any other related question as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the competitive edge by using attractive custom presentation boxes, while running a successful business in the market. Interested? Contact US packaging company for more details and get an instant quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible post! A debt of gratitude is for sharing a piece of information It would be helpful for newbies, continue to post. I like your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your post you are doing such great work. I like it. Now I am telling you about my business. We are offered for all of you Custom Popcorn Boxes.We offer you limitless customization services that are a good option for you. You can get your aspired Custom Popcorn Boxes.Rush packaging is the best packaging company that offers you endless customization. We provide you with the best quality of Custom Popcorn Boxes and also provide other Custom Food Packaging Boxes with free shipping.
    Custom Coffee Packaging
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Custom Burger Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent method to writing an instructive Blog. Try to convey such an informative article.
    Get custom soap packaging with a diversity of materials. As well as we offer you these high Feature boxes with free shipping. Just assign your order and obtain these at your doorstep.
    Soap Boxes.
    Soap Packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Custom-made bath bomb boxes with inventive printing buy us. Provide long-lasting Custom Bath Bomb Boxes that preserve the nature of the bath bombs. Quick delivery, free shipping.
    Corrugated Box Packaging
    Bath Bomb Packaging
    Pencil Boxes
    Candle Box Packaging

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Plane Stress Balls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every business owner knows the importance of packaging the product before to sale or to display at the market place. Similar to other trade, the candle shop owner also required the Candle Box Packaging to pack the candle very carefully either yourself or by getting the help of the designers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. retail packaging boxes wholesale are like little mysteries waiting to be explored. What's inside yours today? The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete